Matthew Warnes, CEO of Adaptive Technology (Europe) Limited (ATEL) tells us about his session at the recent Housing LIN conference.
Recently, I took part in an exchange session with Tunstall at the Housing LIN’s ‘Housing for Older People: A Festival of Ideas’ annual conference. I was there to share my experience of delivering life changing “technology enabled care” that supports a range of people living with learning disabilities, physical disabilities, complex behaviours in supported living environments
Creating the change
Change is desperately needed. Adult social care faces a funding gap of £4.3 billion by the end of the decade, and both demand and expectations are rising. We simply cannot afford to do things in the same way.
Our approach is different for two main reasons:
- We deliver care and accommodation in an environment that supports independence and is more cost effective than traditional provision.
- Solutions are tailored to the individual and their needs and desires, helping them to live safely and with dignity and choice.
People want to be independent and look after themselves so by providing an environment where the technology enables people to be as independent as possible with the fall back of a core team of professionals on hand when required, this meet their ultimate desire to live life to the full e.g. being able to cook, participate in education etc.
Working closely with local authorities and developers, we design the infrastructure of the scheme to support a range of people from the moment they move in, and for years into the future. Using Cat6 cabling, we can ensure developments are able to take advantage of future developments in communications and technology. Uniquely, we assess an individual’s needs and create a bespoke, integrated solution to meet them. We then monitor the success of the package, making any necessary adjustments, and report on outcomes.
Tunstall and ATEL have recently worked together at Moorgate Mill in Blackburn (pictured above), an HB Villages development containing 20 apartments for people with complex needs. We have managed the provision and installation of an integrated system including a range of technologies which are supplied according to the individual’s needs following an assessment:
- Tunstall – independence aids such as telecare sensors, telehealth systems, CCTV, door entry and access control, scheme manager communication, fire alarm, gsm tracking systems
- Lutron – lighting and heating controls, environmental controls working, automatic door openers and blind/curtain openers
- Toby Churchill – cognition aids, keyboard and dynamic screen communication aids
- Clos-o-Mat – shower toilets and bathroom aids
- U-Drain – Urine drainage system
- Hill-Rom – medical technologies including hospital beds, patient lifts, and non-invasive therapeutic products
One of the people living at Moorgate Mill is Jayne, who is profoundly physically disabled, and has been dependent on others for her care all her life. Moving to Moorgate Mill is the first time Jayne has been able to live in a flat on her own. She has 24-hour background support, and uses a reassurance pendant that allows her to speak directly to the office at the touch of a button whenever she needs assistance. Jayne can now operate her own blinds, lights, television and keep in contact with her family and friends via Skype, all at the touch of a handset, or with a pillow control. Jayne also has a wet room with a Clos-o-Mat toilet, giving her more privacy and dignity with personal care. For the first time Jayne has a sense of control and independence.
It was great to be able to share our experience with over 300 housing professionals, and show them the difference we can make to people like Jayne by combining technology with thinking differently.
Find out more about Housing LIN
Read more about ATEL’s use of technologies